Library Media Specialist Academy
The LMS Academy focuses on the changing role of the Library Media Specialist in K-12 education. Today's LMS must play the versatile role of an instructional partner responsible for ensuring that students and staff are efficient and effective users of information. The Academy will assist LMS personnel in teaching and connecting the new standards of AASL, ISTE and the NETS. Registration includes one day attendance at the METC Conference, including the Library & Media Literacy Luncheon. The academy goals are to:
• Explore digital citizenship and literacy curriculum resources
• Research lessons that support the MLS, AASL & ISTE Standards, Future Ready Frameworks
• Understand the meaning of digital, web & media literacy as it applies to 21st century skills
• Learn digital tools that promote effective use of technology integration for students
• Examine problem based activities & resources pertaining to Makerspaces
• Research best practices for Copyright & Fair Use
• Network with colleagues working in school libraries
Linda Dougherty has worked as a teacher librarian for over 24 years in Missouri. Besides enjoying her work with students and fellow teachers, she continually works on her personal learning networks through professional organization memberships and social networking. Linda’s conference presentations have included online tech applications, teacher collaboration, information literacy, digital citizenship, and social media networking for educators.
This is a BYOD academy. EducationPlus has a few laptops for loan during workshops upon prior request.
K-8 educators; Library Media Specialists, Instructional Technology Coaches, Curriculum Coordinators
October 4, 2018
November 15, 2018
December 13, 2018
January 24, 2019 (*join MakerEd Academy, @ a local school near EdPlus)
February 13, 2019 @ METC Conference, including the Library and Media Literacy Luncheon (valued at $245-$315)
March 7, 2019
4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
EducationPlus, 1460 Craig Rd., St. Louis, MO 63146 (except Jan & Feb meetings)
September 30, 2018 or until registration is at capacity
3.0 college credit hours available upon request for an additional fee of $100 per credit hour to be completed within 90 days of the last day of the academy.