Library Media Specialist Academy
The LMS Academy focuses on the changing role of the Library Media Specialist in K-12 education. Today's LMS must play the versatile role of an instructional partner responsible for ensuring that students and staff are efficient and effective users of information. The Academy will assist LMS personnel in teaching and connecting the standards of AASL and ISTE. Registration includes one day attendance at the METC Conference. The academy goals are to:
• Explore digital citizenship and literacy curriculum resources
• Research lessons that support the MLS, AASL & ISTE Standards
• Understand the meaning of digital, web & media literacy as it applies to 21st century skills & the Future Ready Librarian Framework
• Learn digital tools & Open Education Resources (OER) that promote effective use of technology integration for students
• Examine problem based activities & resources pertaining to Makerspaces
• Research best practices for Copyright, Fair Use, and Digital Citizenship
• Network with colleagues working in school libraries
Linda Dougherty has worked as a teacher librarian for over 24 years in Missouri. Besides enjoying her work with students and fellow teachers, she continually works on her personal learning networks through professional organization memberships and social networking. Linda’s conference presentations have included online tech applications, teacher collaboration, information literacy, digital citizenship, and social media networking for educators.
This is a BYOD academy. EducationPlus has a few laptops for loan during workshops upon prior request.
Library Media Specialists, Technology Specialists, Curriculum Coordinators
September 27, 2017
November 8, 2017
December 13, 2017
January 17, 2018
February 14, 2018 @ METC Conference, including the Library and Media Specialist Luncheon (valued at $245-$315)
February 28, 2018
4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
EducationPlus, 1460 Craig Rd., St. Louis, MO 63146
September 24, 2017 or until registration is at capacity
All training sessions will take place at EducationPlus on 1460 Craig Rd. except for the Feb. 14th session, which will be at the St. Charles Convention Center
3.0 college credit hours available upon request for an additional fee of $100 per credit hour to be completed within 90 days of the last day of the academy.