STEAM-ing Up STEM Academy
METC is excited to offer this NEW academy just for you! STEAM is everywhere! It is hard to come up with any occupation that doesn’t involve STEAM. The focus on STEM began with the notion that students need more opportunities in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math related fields. The National Science Foundation estimates that 80% of the jobs created in the next decade will require some form of math and science skills. With the increase enthusiasm for Project Based Learning (PBL) these two concepts complement each other. Both STEM & PBL promote important 21st century competencies and directly connect to the ISTE Standards of Innovative Designers and Computational Thinkers.
STEAM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts, and Math. In this academy, you will have the opportunity to participate in virtual field trips and regional excursions, as well as experience hands-on STEAMy activities. We will explore ideas of combining real-world activities along with problem solving and team building to come up with a solution. This long-term academy includes one day attendance at the METC Conference, including the STEM Luncheon. Come join our METC in this STEAM-tastic Academy; STEAM-ing Up STEM!
STEAM Academy Participants will:
- Engage in challenging educational pursuits through STEAMy excursions & virtual field trips
- Reflect on personal learning through online chats & discussion forums
- Collaborate & model digital citizenship through teaching and sharing resources & ideas
- Construct STEM / STEAM lessons & activities, connecting to PBL
- Discover learning resources connected to the ISTE Standards & Future Ready Frameworks
- Explore contemporary and emerging technology resources like Google Apps, OER, Discovery Education, etc.
- Experience the importance of self-directed learning & professional learning networks
K-8 educators, Curriculum Coordinators, Instructional Technology Coaches, Library Media Specialists
Samantha Hardesty Knoll, Instructional Coach, Wentzville School District
October 3, 2018
November 7, 2018
December 5, 2018
January 23, 2019
February 12, 2019 @ METC Conference, St. Charles Convention Center
March 6, 2019
4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. (except for the METC Conference in Feb)
$700.00 EdPlus/METC Member; $875.00 Standard Price
3.0 college credit hours available upon request for an additional fee of $100 per credit hour to be completed within 90 days of the last day of the academy.